question about machine hostid in smbpasswd Samba 2.0.6a

Gerry E. George ggeorge at digisolv.com
Fri Aug 4 15:59:45 GMT 2000

> >     Simo> "Melissa M. Thrush" wrote:
> >     >>
> >     >> I have Samba 2.0.6a working as a PDC on a Solaris 2.6 box.  It's been
> >     >> working fine and I have machines added to the smbpasswd by using
> >     >> the "smbpasswd -a -m" command.  Recently I installed a new "pc image" (OS,
> >     >> apps, etc.) onto a pc that had been working as a member of the domain.
> >     >> When the new image was installed however, a user could no longer log into
> >     >> the domain from this pc.  I had to readd the machine to the smbpasswd file
> >     >> even though it already was there.
> >     >>
> >     >> My question, is the encrypted smbpasswd hash comprised somehow of the
> >     >> machine's hostid (serial number)?  Because when I install a new "pc image"
> >     >> the new image has a different "serial number/hostid" than the previous
> >     >> image.
> >     >>
[.....]

> > Er, when you image the machine, all record of the domain it was in
> > will be lost, including the current machine account password.  There
> > is probably a way to put the password back in the machine's LSA
> > secrets, but is it really worth the bother?
>
> you're wrong.
> With ghost I make a phisical Image of the machine and all the data,
> registry and whatever you want is preserved. Is a perfect snapshot.\
> So saving the smbpasswd entry you should have everything you need
> anyway.
[....]
As I recall, if you're using "Ghost" software, it changes the SID for you.
I think it uses a randomly generated SID, thus eliminating the problems
associated with  multiple duplicate SID's on a network.

Otherwise, the copies are identical.

G. George <ggeorge at digisolv.com>
DigiSolv, Inc.