Compilation Problems Samba TNG-2.5 --with-profile

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Sat Apr 29 10:20:11 GMT 2000

At 03:43 AM 4/30/00 +1000, Paul J Collins wrote:

>    Matthew> When using Win9x machines on the network, how, after
>    Matthew> compiling with the --with-profile option, get the Win9x
>    Matthew> machines to start using the server to store profile info
>    Matthew> for already existing users (in Win)?  I've setup the
>
>You don't need to use the --with-profile option to get support for
>user profiles.  That option is used for profiling samba's code, to
>record which functions are called by which, how often, and how long
>they take to execute.  You do not need this option.
>
>I believe that there issues in the Windows 9x client relating to
>profiles; I'm not too sure quite what as I only have NT here.

Check out the latest DOMAIN.txt document. WinNT and Win9X have different
profiles implementations.

Win9X profiles can only go in the home directory area.

The following allows Win9X profiles to go in a directory in the home dir as
well as allowing net use /home to work:

  logon home = \\%L\%U\.profiles

You would use logon path for WinNT profiles locations.

>    Matthew> smb.conf like in the examples, but nothing is being
>    Matthew> created in the netlogon share (yes it is writable - I
>    Matthew> chmoded it like in the FAQ).  Thanks for any
>
>The netlogon share should *not* be writable.  Netlogon is used to
>store logon scripts, and users should not be able to alter them.
>Profiles are normally stored in a separate profile share, which *is*
>writable.
>
>    Matthew> help.  By the way, as an aside question, I've been having
>    Matthew> some profile troubles in windows itself.  I was trying to
>    Matthew> clean up the "non-profile" directories, such as
>    Matthew> C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP" from when I didn't use individual
>    Matthew> profiles so that new users don't have all the crap I used
>    Matthew> to have on the desktop and other stuff added (especially
>    Matthew> my Outlook Express profile which isn't password protected
>    Matthew> upon creating the new profile).  Thanks again...
>
>I'm pretty sure that Windows 9x runs special programs when a new
>profile is created to add all that junk (you recall that "Adding
>Personalized Settings" dialog?); I'm not sure quite what you can do
>about it.  Unlike Windows NT, Windows 9x doesn't have an "All Users"
>virtual profile that affects all profiles.  If you look at the
>Passwords control panel, you can see that you decide if desktops and
>start menus are shared or not.  That is a global option, I believe.
>
>To be honest, whenever I come across a 9x machine with profiles
>enabled, I turn it off.  It's more trouble that it's worth.
>
>Paul.
>
>--
>Paul Collins <sneakums at eircom.net> - - - - - [ A&P,a&f ]
> GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD
> PGP: 88BA 2393 8E3C CECF E43A  44B4 0766 DD71 04E5 962C
>"Linux: it's just this operating system, you know?"

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course
Author: First Australian 2-day, intensive, hands-on Samba course