TNG-2.4.1; 1st domain logon succeeds, none after that

Christopher W. Friday fridacw at auburn.edu
Tue Apr 18 01:39:44 GMT 2000

I noticed the same problem, but it started with 2.4.  I  had made some
other changes and ended up fighting with this problem most of the
afternoon today thinking it was something I did.  I ended up reseting
the workstation accounts and adding them to the domain again to get
things going again.  However, after experimenting some, I came to the
conclusion that the problem was somehow related to how quickly you
tried to log back in from a particular workstation.  If you did it too
quickly, it would result in the problems Paul describes, but if you
waited or moved to another machine, everything was fine.

After some more investigation, I noticed that, upon logging out,
smbstatus showed that the connection to the users home share was
closed, but the profile and netlogon shares were still in use and that
they showed the same PID.  However, if you then check the running
processes ('ps x'), that PID is not listed.  Then, I noticed that when
you log out, an extra netlogond process spawns, then after a minute or
so, that process disappears, and an instance of smbd (which bears the
PID the smbstatus returns) had appeared.  It seems that once this
process appears, you can login to the machine again without a problem.

I don't know if any of this is useful to anyone, but it should be taken
with a grain of salt (I was more concerned about getting the network
going than experimenting).

Chris

On Monday, April 17, 2000 6:51 PM, Paul J Collins
[SMTP:sneakums at eircom.net] wrote:

> [...]
> if you need any further info, please feel free to mail me.
>
> Hope this is of use,
>
> Paul.
>
> ---BEGIN "smb.conf"---
>
> [global]
> debug level = 100
> guest account = ftp
>
> netbios name = STO-KERRIG
> server string = Samba (Primary DC)
> workgroup = ONDIOLINE
> interfaces = 172.16.252.1/16 127.0.0.1/8
>
> domain group map = /usr/local/samba-TNG/private/domaingroup.map
> domain alias map = /usr/local/samba-TNG/private/domainalias.map
>
> security = user
> domain logons = yes
> encrypt passwords = yes
>
> os level = 65
> domain master = yes
> preferred master = yes
> local master = yes
>
> wins support = yes
> time server = yes
>
> logon script = login.bat
> logon drive = H:
> logon home = \\STO-KERRIG\%U
> logon path = \\STO-KERRIG\profile$\%U
>
> print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -P%p %s
> lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p
> lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j
> printcap name = /etc/printcap
> load printers = yes
>
> [homes]
> browseable = no
> writable = yes
> comment = Users' home directories
>
> [netlogon]
> path = /usr/local/samba-TNG/netlogon
> writable = no
> guest ok = no
> comment = PDC netlogon share
>
> [profile$]
> path = /usr/local/samba-TNG/profile
> writeable = yes
>
> [printers]
> printing = bsd
> comment = All Printers
> path = /tmp
> browseable = no
> guest ok = yes
> writable = no
> printable = yes
>
> [print$]
> path = /usr/local/samba-TNG/print
> writable = yes
> guest ok = yes
>
> ---END "smb.conf"---
>
> ---BEGIN "events"---
>
> 4/17/00,11:45:40 PM,NETLOGON,Error,None,5719,N/A,PSEUDOPOLIS,No
> Windows NT Domain Controller is available for domain ONDIOLINE. (This
> event is expected and can be ignored when booting with the 'No Net'
> Hardware Profile.)  The following error occurred:
> The remote procedure call failed and did not execute.
> 4/17/00,11:45:40 PM,Rdr,Warning,None,3006,N/A,PSEUDOPOLIS,The
> redirector received an SMB that was too short.
> 4/17/00,11:45:40 PM,Rdr,Warning,None,3006,N/A,PSEUDOPOLIS,The
> redirector received an SMB that was too short.
> 4/17/00,11:45:40 PM,Rdr,Warning,None,3006,N/A,PSEUDOPOLIS,The
> redirector received an SMB that was too short.
> 4/17/00,11:45:39 PM,Rdr,Warning,None,3006,N/A,PSEUDOPOLIS,The
> redirector received an SMB that was too short.
PM,EventLog,Information,None,6005,N/A,PSEUDOPOLIS,The