Win2K joining a Samba domain progress

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Mon Nov 15 21:21:43 GMT 1999

At 09:42 PM 11/16/99 +1100, sharpe at ns.aus.com wrote:
>Hi,
>
>well, it is damn frustrating.
>
>I now seem to have opnum 0x05 implemented but I now get the following error:
>
>  The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "sambanet":
>
>  The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
>
>However, the opnum 0x05 seems to have succeeded.
>
>However, what is interesting is that Win2k sends an opnum 0x28 against
>\NETLOGON to an NT4.0 svr which succeeds, while Samba does not like it.

Nope, ignore that. NT did not like the 0x28 either.  In fact, now we seem
to be very much like NT in our responses, down to the results to the opnum
6 against NETLOGON which seems to be the same between Win NT and Samba.

However, Win2K against WinNT keeps going, does some name registations and
then issues some more SAM LOGON requests, while with Samba it does not.

>Perhaps we need to find out what the 0x28 is.
>

>Regards
>-------
>Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
>Samba (Team member, www.samba.org), Ethereal (Team member, www.zing.org)
>Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
>Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course

Regards
-------
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course