local user map troubles finally solved

Brian Powell bpowell at osc.edu
Fri May 14 11:43:41 GMT 1999

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> part of the issue is that you _cannot_ have a group and user name the same
> in NT.  therefore you _must_ map all unix groups with same name as users
> (and same name as other domains, as well) using the group or user map
> functions.
>
> this avoids the problem of int(guid)==int(uid).

What about a more glabal function, so that us unix/samba admins don't
have to always worry about yet another map file to maintain.  Could
you just have a couple of smb.conf parameters something like:

	groupid modifier  = 10000
	groupname prefix  = grp-

Where the first can be any positive or negative number that gets added
to all unix group_id's before sending them to NT. Then it would be
subtracted back out of any groupid's received from NT.  The number is
chosen to "push" the groupid  numbers out of the UID range.

The second parameter is a text string that would be prefixed onto any
unix group name when it is given to NT and taken back off of (if it is
on there) any group name received from NT.  It make them unique from
usernames and hostnames.

Maybe I'm not thinking of some of the repercussions of such an idea,
but on the surface it would seem to solve the single-uidgid-space
issue without any undue maintenance problems.

--
Brian Powell     <bpowell at osc.edu>     http://www.osc.edu/~bpowell/
    Senior Programmer/Analyst, The Ohio Supercomputer Center