joining ok but login error

Tobias Hoff hoff at uni-duesseldorf.de
Sat May 8 21:21:45 GMT 1999

I try to set um an Samba-PDC. I'm a newbe (not in linux, not in samba, but in samba-PDC-config) and ran into some trouble:

- logging in from an Win9x Wkst with encrypted passwords and roaming profiles works fine
- joining the samba-domain as a NT4/SP3 Workstation works fine

but

- logging in to the samba-domain with this Wkst doesn't work at all
- starting the server-manager for the samba-domain gives 'Windows NT Backup' as Type for the samba-server
- starting the user-manager for the samba-domain is not possible

please help !!!