Domain logon problems with 10.Mar.99 CVS source

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Wed Mar 17 19:05:26 GMT 1999

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Stefan Walter wrote:

> > i haven't specifically coded to deal with this.  most definitely nt
> > _cannot_ have group names same as user names same as domain names: the
> > entire name space *must* be unique, end of story.  try it, if you like:
> > try adding a group named YOUR_DOMAIN_NAME on an nt box with usrmgr.exe.
>
> Did you mean NT group name + NT user name are the same? That should not
> be the case on my test systems.

if any of:

- nt group name
- nt user name
- nt domain name(s)

... are the same, you _will_ run into difficulties.

> I used a freshly installed NT system + SP4
> with only the default groups and the local administrator. On the PDC side
> the smbpasswd contains only '<machine>$' and 'walter'. No 'domain group map'
> or any other map is defined at the stage I am at.

then the "default" is to take all unix groups and make them nt groups, and
all unix users that are also in private/smbpasswd and make them nt users.
_this_ is the "nt" namespace that you, as an administrator, must guarantee
is unique.

> What is the current requirement for unix groups (at least now)? Is it required
> that all group names are no user names?

yes.  that is an _nt_ requirement and we must obey it.