Simple question

Christopher Robert Woods chris at netquarters.net
Sat Feb 20 16:29:46 GMT 1999

Thank you very much for the reply.  I am beginning to wonder if my
workstation is just hosed, because I have tried everything on the
linux side.

I actually got somewhere this morning when I could nbtstat -a linux
and got a reply (linux is the nbn of my linux machine) and it
showed up in my net neighborhood.  But I got that IPC$ error when
I tried to browse in NNeighborhood, changed some things and now
nb resolution doesn't seem to be working at all, as

nmblookup -B LINUX __LINUX__
fails.  I have verified that nbmd is running, have added:

192.168.0.1 	LINUX

to /etc/lmhosts

verifed that netbios-ns 137/udp is in /etc/services

and to be safe added netbios-ns dgram udp wait root
/usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd/nmbd

to /etc/inetd.conf though I don't think that is how nmbd is getting
started.

Funny thing is that nmblookup -B WKS1 '*'

correctly sees my workstation.

So, I guess I haven't even gotten to part one of your
recommendations!! ;)

I also went out and bought the Samba book, maybe that will help.
It just doesn't seem like it should be this hard.  ;)

Thanks for all your help.  Have a good day.

> First get what you've got working (e.g., non-domain file/print
sharing).