remote tapes

Matthew Geddes mgeddes at xavier.sa.edu.au
Mon Dec 13 22:04:36 GMT 1999

"Dr. Dieter Becker" wrote:

> Sirs,
>
> I know, my question is off-topic, but I hope to find a guru who can
> answer me.
>
> I want to use the DAT-Tape of my Samba-Server (Solaris) from any
> Windows client. Is there a possibility to do that.
>
> And on the other side.
>
> I want to use a DAT-Tape which is installed in a windows-client
> from the Solaris Server. Does there exist any tool like the
> unix rmt?
>
> And as third question: Can I share a Windows DAT-Tape between
> different NT-machines?
>
> Thank You
>
> Dieter
>
> Dr. med. dipl.-math Dieter Becker
> Medizinische Universitaets- und Poliklinik
> Innere Medizin III
> D - 66421 Homburg / Saar
> Tel.: (0 / +49) 6841 - 16 3046
> Fax.: (0 / +49) 6841 - 16 3043
> Email: db at med-in.uni-sb.de

I have found that the problems is the software you run, not which
operating system it's on. For example, ArcServe would store things in a
different format to tar and gzip or BRU. If you can find two pieces of
software that are compatible, you should be OK. It's a bit like the
whole file system thing, Unix don't work with FAT, which don't work with
UFS, which don't work with NTFS.....

I am not aware of much software that will help. You might find that some
of the GNU tools are handy as they have been ported to many platforms.

Matt