profiles

Dave J. Andruczyk dave at www.buffalostate.edu
Fri Aug 6 19:23:38 GMT 1999

> About profiles: We use profiles, but only the NT registry is stored in the
> /%u/profile directory. All other stuff is located in /%u/NT-Folders, so
> they won't get copied when the user logs in or out. Additionally, The
> Temporary Internet Files are stored locally.
>
> Profiles are removed from the local workstation after logout, so nothing
> remains local but the Temporary Internet Files. We prefer security more
> than limiting the users to what applications they run. This construction
> allows for any data (Application data, desktop, start menu, personal) to
> be shared between multiple logins of the same user: If the user copies
> something on the desktop in session 1, it appears on the desktop in
> session 2 (of course, sometimes only after hitting F5 or automatic
> refresh).

I use something similar. In Win95 in policy editor I create users in the
master "config.pol" file on the logon server, and configure the locations
of the start menu, programs folver, and all that other stuff to be on
drive letter "y:". Which is automounted upon login via the logon script.
It works the same way.  the only downfall is on machines that logon to the
domain but are configured for LOCAL profiles, users that are in that
config.pol file (i.e. me) get my profile off of the server( ONLY the
menus, NOT the registry), the registry used is the local (shared between
all users one). (I have verified this).  So it tends to be a plus in the
roving profiles mode (I always get the right start menu), but its a downer
on non-roving machines as I still get my roving menus but the local
registry.

Dave J. Andruczyk
Instructional Support Associate
Department of Technology