Win2K mounting dir on from Samba server

tschweikle at FIDUCIA.de tschweikle at FIDUCIA.de
Thu Aug 5 16:18:37 GMT 1999

John R Parsons wrote:
> I have 2.0.4 running on a Solaris box, just providing shared directories and
> print services, no domain configuration at all.
>
> When I attempt to mount \\melian\homes from the Win2K box, using my username
> and password, working from NT4 or 95 box, it complains about the password
> being incorrect and gives me the prompt to enter another username and
> password.  This keeps happening no matter what username and password I use,
> the do exist in our nispasswd tables.
>
> Do I have to fix anything on the Win2K box?  It is Win2K Server.

Sounds as if you didn't set

 encrypt passwords = Yes

in the globals section in your smb.conf-file.

Two solutions:
1. Don't use encrypted passwords with your NT boxes.
   There is a registry key to revert to the old unencrypted
   passwords:

 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters]
 "EnablePlainTextPassword"=dword:00000001

   SAMBA doc's hold a file setting this key if double clicked.

2. Set encrypted passwords in your globals section.
   Use smbpasswd to add all your users and there passwords.

Both solutions have there own deficiencies:
1. Whoever is able to run a sniffer in your network will be
   able to get the unencrypted passwords --- it's a security
   breach.
2. You will have to maintain to password lists, completely
   independent from each other.

I preferred the second solution. Works fine.