Can't change password via Win98

Dirk Nehring dnehring at telemedia.de
Wed Nov 4 12:42:59 GMT 1998

Hi,

we're running Samba 2.0 (latest CVS version) as PDC, with a local
smbpasswd. I have the following entry in smb.conf:

[...]
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   passwd program = /usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd
   passwd chat = old*password %o\n new*password %n\n new*password %n\n changed
[...]

With

smbpasswd -r localhost -U dnehring

I have no problems changing my password, but when I logged in with a
Win98 machine (works flawlessly, btw), I got

"The domain controller for this domain cannot be found."

Any idea?

Dirk

PS: Is the machine name "hostx$" required any more in smbpasswd? I works
for me without that entry.

--
Dirk Nehring                 | Phone: +49 5241 80-<censored>
Telemedia Bertelsmann AG     | Fax:   +49 5241 80-9518