R: NTDOM and sharing in Win95

Jean-Francois Micouleau Jean-Francois.Micouleau at utc.fr
Sat Mar 7 16:24:06 GMT 1998

On Sat, 7 Mar 1998, Giampaolo Tomassoni wrote:

> After all, NTDOMAIN code actually support a user list (smbpasswd) and
> maybe groups (domain groups setting?). Now, is it so complex to reply to
> domain users enumeration requests issued by Win95?

I think it's not so complex to implement it. I think it's implemented
on the lanman pipe and some SMB transact functions.
(if i'm wrong luke will correct me :) )

I don't have anymore a win95 pc to check.

> I would like to contribute to the NTDOMAIN efforts, so I'm tempted to
> say "I'll do that!". Nevertheless, I don't have a so deep knowledge
> about SMB/RPC or even Samba structure, and I feel I have to drop this
> challenge: the deadline is probably too close.

Before starting the implementation, the first job is to know how much work
it will require. So setup a NT4 PDC, and a WIN 95 station pointing to it.
While you enumerate the users from the WIN95 pc, run netmon (from a sms
distrib, it's better) on the PDC and grab the frames.

Switch your NT4 PDC for a ntdom-samba server, and do the same.

Compare the traces your captured, you will know how much work is
necessary.

Try also the KB and the MSDN articles, Visual C 5 contains a lot of info
too.

	Jean Francois

: Jean Francois Micouleau       : Email: jfm at utc.fr       :
: Universite de                 : Tel  : 03 44 23 47 78   :
: Technologie de                :  Service Informatique   :
: Compiegne              France :     Division IRNM       :