YP-smb-passwd

Tavis Barr tavis at mahler.econ.columbia.edu
Mon Jun 8 05:41:00 GMT 1998

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Adam Williams wrote:

> I am the author of yp-smb-passwd.  They are drop in relacements for
> yppasswd/yppasswdd.  You must replace both the client and the server.  They
> yppasswdd executes /usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd automatically when a user
> changes their NIS password,  so they remain in sync.  The call is found in the
> update.c file.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

As long as you're offering, I might as well be nosy. :*)  (Great work by
the way).

If the program uses bin/smbpasswd to update the smb password on the
client machine, I assume this means /usr/local has to be mounted with
write access on the clients?  I'm just wondering if there might be a way
to update smb passwords without requiring this (we have our NIS clients
mount /usr/local with access only for security reasons).  I realize that
sending the SMB encryption throught the yp hash tables would be even way
more insecure.  Maybe there's a way to create a one-way (client-to-server)
mechanism to pass along updates?  Not that I can think of one or anything...

Cheers,
Tavis