How do I asign Doman Admin rights to a NT4 server??

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Fri Jul 17 20:14:36 GMT 1998

Ankit Shah wrote:

> I have the same problem. I am at a point, where logon works, but
> nothing else.
>
> I also got printers to work. But permissions on file, or
> administartion doesnt work.

After looking at the code in passdb.c the following things appear
suspect...

pdb_name_to_rid()
-----------------
- If the user's name appears in lp_domain_admin_users, the the
user RID is set to DOMAIN_USER_RID_ADMIN (500).  The happens
correctly.  I just verified that a user specified in the
smb.conf file this way does get the RID off 500.

At this part I am speculating...

The user's GROUP RID is set using the standard algorithm

	(gid*8)+1001 | GROUP_RID_TYPE

Does this cause a problem by not specifing the DOMAIN_GROUP_RID_ADMINS
as the user's group?  I have not had time to test this yet.  Neither do
I have the older code to which to compare.

Also one more question ( Luke, Jeremy, JF? ).  The code seems to be only
passing one group RID pack in passdb.c.  Is this correct?  and if so
then how does NT send back membership in multiple groups?

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )