[linux-cifs-client] Add support infrastructure for Named Pipe

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 13:56:51 MDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Gerald Carter <jerry at plainjoe.org> wrote:
> Steve French wrote:
>
>> I agree that Likewise librpc would address some of this,

> What I've not really heard here, which I think is what Jeff is
> trying to get answered, is why a user space client lib implementation
> (that does connection caching) is not acceptable for Shirish's
> use case.

I think that is the point - the kernel implementation in effect does
cifs connections and connection caching already (in Windows,
in Linux cifs.ko, even as far back as OS/2).   There are
various userspace rpc libraries (each with their own problems
which have been mentioned), but any or all of them could
with trivial change work today with existing cifs kernel sessions.

There is a distinct point Jeff and others have made about
credentials, and automatic use of different credentials than the
logged on user, and what Jeff would like to eventually see
for cifs.ko and others pulling credentials from Winbind, but
that is not really related to the pipe discussion.  LikewiseOpen
as you note has a different caching infrastructure for credentials
but as long as kernel mounts and user tools can get at the
same credentials, its upcall addresses similar credential
problem - but this is not specific to pipes but general
problem with cifs tools using the right credentials when
contacting a remote servr.

Steve