[linux-cifs-client] Symlink support in cifs

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Jun 23 16:34:40 GMT 2008

Hi,

when reading the changelog, especially

“Fix sfu symlinks so they can be followed (not just recognized)”
(Version 1.41)

and

“Fix SFU style symlinks and mknod needed for servers which do not
support the CIFS Unix Extensions.”
(Version 1.39)

as well as

“To recognize symlinks and be able to create symlinks in an SFU
interoperable form requires version 1.40 or later of the CIFS VFS kernel
module.”
(man mount.cifs),

I was hoping that with newer kernels, I can store symlinks on a Windows
2003 Server with SFU installed. But when trying it with 2.6.20, it did
not work, even with the sfu option passed to mount. Am I mis-reading the
docs, or did I do something wrong? Maybe a specific SFU component?

Thanks,
Joachim
(while trying to bring Linux to the local city administration)

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
  mail: mail at joachim-breitner.de | ICQ# 74513189 | GPG-Key: 4743206C
  Debian Developer: nomeata at debian.org