[linux-cifs-client] Re: [Fwd: Mount.cifs freezing]

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Fri Sep 29 16:48:22 GMT 2006

> Does the current CIFS fs handles resumes?  e.g. after suspend to disk ?
Yes - I run /usr/bin/s2ram (to software suspend) many times a week - and
cifs mounts
recover fine, and subsequent mounts work.

Of course there may be cases in which the network driver or stack needs to
be
reinited (e.g. "/etc/init.d/network restart") to get new DHCP address etc.
but that
is not cifs specific.

IIRC cifs version 1.37 included an important cifs suspend/resume fix
(2.6.16 is 1.40
cifs, so 2.6.16 or later should be fine even if you have not updated to
cifs.ko 1.45).
You can run "cat /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData" to see the version (or do modinfo
on
cifs.ko).   It is possible that there are still buggy network devices or
device
drivers that don't recover after suspend/resume, but I vaguely remember
that the
problem I had to fix with cifs was to handle the return codes coming back
from
the kernel socket api properly - and to not exit cifsd (a cifs mount won't
work
if the cifsd process dies) on certain valid rc and to call "try_to_freeze"
in more
places in the cifs code (to allow suspend to work in the first place when a
cifs
mount was active).

Also note that "umount --force" is now supported for cifs as well.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com