[linux-cifs-client] Re: Some problems with linux-cifs

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at divmod.com
Tue May 3 19:16:52 GMT 2005

Steven French wrote:

>  > - on linux-cifs.samba.org, "1.34 for 2.6 kernels" links to 1.33
>  > - the tarballs for 1.33 or 1.34 both result in this message when trying
>  > to build a new kernel, based off of the stock config for ubuntu:
>  >    CC [M]  fs/cifs/connect.o
>  > fs/cifs/connect.c: In function `cifs_mount':
>  > fs/cifs/connect.c:1702: error: structure has no member named
> `s_time_gran'
>  > make[3]: *** [fs/cifs/connect.o] Error 1
>  > make[2]: *** [fs/cifs] Error 2
>  > make[1]: *** [fs] Error 2
>  > make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.10'
>  > make: *** [stamp-build] Error 2
>
> This field was globally added to the kernel for proper nanosecond time
> rounding (presumably it was added just after 2.6.10).  The RHEL4 version
> of the cifs code (which handles 2.6.8/2.6.9 kernels) should be fine and
> does not depend on this field, although I have not tried it personally
> on 2.6.10

Thanks for the prompt response.  I should have sent my initial inquiry
to the list, sorry :-).

With the RHEL version of 1.34 the build seems to be progressing
smoothly.  It hasn't linked yet, but it's past the point where it was
dying before.

I'll publish .ko's for a few different stock ubuntu kernels if they work
out OK.

>  > but given the huge number of suspiciously broken-looking pages and
>  > broken links on the linux cifs client site

> I don't spend much time on the webpages, but must have broken a few
> links when I added the two new child html pages, but I will scan through
> and try to find and fix any broken links.  Check back tomorrow and let
> me know if you see any broken links that I have not addresed.

OK.  When I check tomorrow I'll make a list.  Or perhaps I could submit
patches to the website?  Where is the repository?