[linux-cifs-client] Re: Linux CIFS client with Samba 2.0.x or 2.2.x ?

Patrick J. LoPresti patl at users.sourceforge.net
Mon May 17 20:12:13 GMT 2004

Steven French <sfrench at us.ibm.com> writes:

> I have not tested with Samba 2.0.x so can not speculate on whether it
> would work, but the error that you mention
>
> >  [2004/05/15 17:45:46, 0] smbd/nttrans.c:map_share_mode(443)
> >    map_share_mode: Incorrect value 80000000 for desired_access to file
> \path\to\file
>
> refers to an important flag which Samba now supports, but apparently
> did not that long ago, but may be easy enough for the cifs client to
> retry using different desired_access.

Up to you whether it is worth it.  I need to upgrade my site anyway,
so it is not vital.

> > server is configured with "security = server" and "password server =
> > MYPDC".  If I increase the debug level on the server, I can see that
> > it logs these messages:
> >
> >  connected to password server MYPDC
> >  password server MYPDC rejected the password
>
> A likely cause for this is that the cifs client does not send the
> older insecure "lanman hash" of the password (sometimes referred to
> as ASCII password), although I used to have the code for that
> present in fs/cifs/connect.c but ifdef out (for those who really
> wanted to reenable it, they could).

Ah, I see.  So, basically, I need to upgrade to Samba 3.0.x or use a
different security mode...  No big deal.

I do have one more issue, however.  My application is a little special
(see http://unattended.sourceforge.net/).  I boot a diskless Linux
system and run the Windows installer under dosemu.

Using smbmount with a large "ttl=" value, this performs well.  But
when I use mount.cifs instead, the performance really slows to a
crawl.  (The winnt.exe installer takes about five times longer to copy
files from the CIFS share to the local disk.  Note that these files
come from the "i386" directory on the Windows installation media,
which contains around 5500 files.  This is why I set "ttl=" to ten or
twenty minutes on smbfs...)

Obviously, I need to do some profiling to try to figure out exactly
where the time is going, but I thought I would mention this in case
you have any ideas for where I should start.

Thanks!

 - Pat