[jcifs] We seem to have found a home in Android Apps.

Mark Graybill markg225ec at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 23:42:48 MST 2012

Mike and Chris,

I'm one of those Android App developers using jcifs, and included the
following text on an opening splash screen:

"This plug-in uses the JCIFS library version 1.3.17 to access SMB shares as
a client.  JCIFS is issued under the LGPL license found here:
http://www.gnu.org.licenses/lgpl-2.1.txt. "

The address is an html anchor that takes the user to the page via the native
web browser.

I think most developers have been reluctant to integrate the library with
their Apps because the license language appears to demand that you have to
be willing to provide a public way of re-linking your App with new versions
of jcifs.  At least that is how I interpreted it.  Hence the desire for
containment.

If you think I should do more in terms of acknowledgement, please advise,
and I'll take care of it in the next release.

Thanks,

Mark Graybill