[jcifs] "A duplicate name exists on network" when a host has multiple names

Andrew Miller pulazzo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 23:47:13 GMT 2005

I'm not that psyched about this workaround, but here's how I got it
working.  I'm not going to post an exact diff because I do not believe
that this is a patch that should be directly applied.  Ideally,
someone who really understands the code should try to address this
somewhere within the smb package.

In NtlmHttpFilter.java, in the two places where this line occurs:

                dc = UniAddress.getByName( domainController, true );

replace with the following two lines:

                dc = UniAddress.getByName( domainController, true );
                dc = UniAddress.getByName( dc.getHostAddress(), true );

Here's why I think this works based on poking around the source and
why some addresses, including IP addresses, were working fine.

UniAddress wraps either an NbtAddress or an InetAddress.  An
NbtAddress is used if UniAddress.getByName determines it is an IP
address or WINS, LMHOSTS, or BCAST name.  An InetAddress is used if it
is a DNS name.

The "duplicate name" errors were occurring when I was attempting to
use a DNS name.  It worked fine for me with an IP address or WINS
name.

The second line of code forces UniAddress to wrap an NbtAddress based
on the IP address it resolved using DNS.

I hope this makes sense.  I'm happy to discuss this further.

--Andy