[jcifs] [jcifs-ext] ERROR_MORE_DATA on netUserGetGroups()

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Wed Jan 19 07:37:43 GMT 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:11:53 -0600
"Christopher R. Hertel" <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> wrote:
> > > Did you have any joy with this problem?  I'm having the same problem
> > > with the netGroupEnum() operation in the GroupManagement Class of
> > > JCIFS-ext
> >
> > This is a fundamental limitation in the RAP protocol. RAP protocol data
> > units are limited to 64K. The RAP functions are a deprecated technology
> > and therefore will never be included seriously in jcifs mainline. RPC
> > will be used to provide user and group manipulation in 2.0.
>
> ...which specifically excludes interoperability with the Win9x and Me
> systems still out there.  Those systems don't do RPC.  That's why there
> was (is?) a separate project that adds RAP capabilities to jCIFS.

JCIFS supports Net{Server,Share}Enum which is good enough to get what
anyone would want from Win95/98/ME. There really are no other calls one
would want to make to those systems. If that's not enough Win95/98/ME
systems have been totally banished from corporate Intranets which is
where jCIFS almost exclusively lives.

Eric implemented the RAPs mainly because he wanted to get group info
from non-Win95/98/ME systems for the isUserInRole feature of Java
Servlets. And he probably thought I would include the work as a whole so
other people could do the same.  Unfortunately for the reasons mentioned
that functionality is totally obsoleted by RPCs and with my limited
time I must choose to work in front of the curve (we're probably going
to skip NTLMv2 et al for Kerberos in 2.0).

It is unfortunate that Eric's code has no place as it is well
organized and generally well written.

Greedo shoots first? Not in my Star Wars.