[jcifs] Dealing with simultaneous users in a Win2k3 environment

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Mar 19 20:05:30 GMT 2004

Hmmm...  Conceptually, the first call to SmbFile() creates two types of
connection to the server.  There's the TCP connection and, on top of that,
there's an SMB connection.  The SmbFile() object rides on top of the SMB
connection.  The problem, in your case, is that further calls to SmbFile()
will reuse existing SMB and TCP connections (if they are aimed at the same
server).

Reusing the TCP connection is something that Windows systems do.  Win9x
systems also re-use the same SMB connection (I've not found a way to enter
a different username/password pair to establish a new SMB connection).
WinNT and it's family do provide ways to create multiplexed SMB
connections over the same TCP transport.  They sometimes play games with
this too.  Urg.

There are several different versions of the SmbFile() constructor.  I'm
wondering whether it's possible to use those to create separate SMB
contexts.  Unfortunately, I'm the theory guy and there are details I
should know and don't.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org