[distcc] How to use another compiler with Distcc?

James Hanley jhanley at dgtlrift.com
Wed Feb 1 03:28:01 MST 2012

At my previous company, we patched it to understand dcc (Diab
Complier) & das (Diab assembler) for 68k & Power arch - it was a
little complicated as we were constantly checking arg 0 as to how the
args should be processed, but it did work and was still compatible
with gcc.

In retrospect, I think the approach that we could have taken for a
submitable patch would have been to modify distcc to have a structure
array for each compiler supported where the structure has the compiler
executable name to key off of and put that instance in that mode, and
have the code for argument handling specific to the compiler be
function pointers within the structure.  This would have given much
more flexibility, and made it easier to add any c or assembler to the
code base, but it would have been a radical change to the code base,
and I feared not excepted as a patch making it difficult for us to
pull updates later.

-Jim