Fwd: [distcc] how to get separate compile tasks

DaNiMoTh jjdanimoth at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 13:11:53 GMT 2009

2009/3/23 Yanchun Wang <yanchun.wng at gmail.com>:
> 1)  If "GNU make" calls GCC when multithread compiling, does "GNU make"
> know that GCC is placed by distcc?
GNU make reads CC and CXX variables in the environment.
If you need to use DISTCC, you need to specify, for example,
CC="distcc gcc". Then, GNU make will compile with a command that is
$CC .... -o output .... ( for example )
that is expanded on
distcc gcc {...}

As you see, the GNU make will call ( transparency ) distcc instead of gcc.

> 2)  In other words, if I want to write a program like distcc, do I need to
> hack "GNU make"
> to make it know my program is a wrapper of GCC, and let "GNU make" to call
> my wrapper
> directly?
Absolutely no ! ( read answer 1 )

> 3) If "GNU make" does know  any knowledge on distcc, how does it can call
> distcc and give
> every thread a command line instruction?
(read answer 1)

If it isn't clear, you can read the ( very big ) GNU Makefile manual:
it will answer to all your question :-)