[distcc] distcc pump mode - support for Mac OS -isysroot option?

Mario Emmenlauer mario at emmenlauer.de
Sat Sep 13 19:09:08 GMT 2008

Hi Fergus,

Fergus Henderson wrote:
 > Could you post a copy of or link to the docs for "-isysroot"?

I could not find much documentation on the sysroot/isysroot flags for OS X.
In short, they choose the SDK that is used by gcc (headers/libs), in a cross-
compile way. The flags are supported starting from gcc-4. When compiling
universal binaries on Mac (what probably most people will want to), Apple
claims "-isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk" mandatory.

What I found are these two pages. However they state only when to use
isysroot, not what it does or how it works:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/cross_development/Using/chapter_3_section_2.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20002000-1114311-BABGCAAB
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Porting/Conceptual/PortingUnix/compiling/chapter_4_section_3.html

I was actually hoping that someone of the distcc developers could help,
as the error message 'distcc does not support -isysroot' implied some
knowledge :-)

> One possible work-around would be to create a shell script
> "gcc-isysroot" whose contents are
>
>    #!/bin/sh
>    gcc -isysroot "$@"

Seems like a reasonable idea, I will try it! With pump mode I would
then set CC="gcc-isysroot"? Something like:

    pump make -j8 CC="gcc-isysroot"

Cheers,

    Mario