[distcc] Distributed compiling

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Thu Jan 19 01:54:09 GMT 2006

On 18 Jan 2006, "Bryntse, Mats" <Mats.Bryntse.x at sonyericsson.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I wonder if there is a way to configure distcc to only run on computers idle
> for > (x) minutes? Wouldn't want to steal CPU from people working on their
> computer...

Not directly; DMUCS (posted recently) may help by estimating the load on
the machine.

There is a TODO that distccd should reject jobs if the machine's load
average is too high.

It depends a bit what you mean by the computer being used; if someone's
just typing then perhaps the load average or cpu utilization would be
low but running a large job would still be intrusive.  In that case
perhaps you should start and stop distcc e.g. when the screensaver runs.
I think you can script this in xscreensaver; it'd be nice to add it to
the faq.