[distcc] Re: distcc and cl.exe (MS Visual compiler)

Frederic Paolucci fpaolucci at call.fr
Mon Jun 14 09:53:16 GMT 2004

tmcc.exe is based on gcc, than I think it could work with low efforts...

In order to investigate my problem, I created a very simple file named
file.c (attached to this message) that contains only a main() function.

Then I wrote
   tmcc.exe -c file.c -E > precompiled.c
   tmcc.exe -c precompiled.c -o file.o
It generated a file file.o that seems OK ; I attached precompiled.c to this
message.
Then, preprocessing and compiling separately by hand seem to work.

I did another test to understand what happens ; I used 2 computers
(localhost and RemoteCompture)...

I set DISTCC_SAVE_TEMPS=1 and DISTCC_HOSTS=RemoteComputer (I did not set
localhost to "force" distcc to send file through the network). In order to
see what parameter were passed to tmcc, I created a file named tmcc.bat in
the same folder as tmcc.exe (both on my local and remote computers) that
contains:
   @echo %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
   tmcc %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

Then I wrote:
   distcc tmcc.bat -c file.c -o file.o
Then it returned:

Catastrophic error: could not open source file "\tmp\distccd_d31d7104.i"

1 catastrophic error detected in the compilation of
"\tmp\distccd_d31d7104.i".
Compilation terminated.
tmcc: tmcfe command failed
-c /tmp/distccd_d31d7104.i -o /tmp/distccd_d8cd7104.o

C:\cygwin>tmcc -c /tmp/distccd_d31d7104.i -o /tmp/distccd_d8cd7104.o
-c file.c -o file.o

e:\videotel\root>tmcc -c file.c -o file.o

In addition it created a file /tmp/distcc_6c937102.i (attached to this
message).

Is it normal that /tmp/distccd_d31d7104.i and distcc_6c937102.i don't have
the same filename?

I don't have attached tmcc.exe (147kb) to this e-mail because I think it was
too big to be posted in this newsgroup. Nevertheless, if you want to make
tests with this compiler, I can send it to you.

Thanks,
Frédéric Paolucci