[distcc] sockaddr_storage in dparent.c and prefork.c

Harold L Hunt II huntharo at msu.edu
Fri Nov 28 00:10:03 GMT 2003

Martin Pool wrote:

> On 27 Nov 2003, Harold L Hunt II <huntharo at msu.edu> wrote:
>
>>There was a change from 2.11.2 to CVS in which src/dparent.c and
>>src/prefork.c use sockaddr_storage instead of sockaddr.  I do not
>>believe that sockaddr_storage is supported by newlib on Cygwin (our C
>>library).
>>
>>My temporary fix was to change sockaddr_storage back to sockaddr.
>>Everything compiles again.  Would somebody comment on whether or not
>>this change is essential for some other platform?  If the change is not
>>essential for some other platform, could we change back to sockaddr so
>>that the build isn't broken on Cygwin?
>

> It's needed to make IPv6 support work, since sockaddr_in6 is typically
> bigger than sockaddr.

Okay, that is reasonable.

> The intent of the change was that sockaddr_storage would only be used
> if you give --enable-rfc2553.  RFC2553 requires sockaddr_storage.  Is
> there a problem in how this is done?

Hmm..., well, I don't see how that could be since there are no
preprocessor protections around the sockaddr_storage structures in
dparent.c and prefork.c.  I didn't pass --enable-rfc2553 to configure
and I ran into build problems.  So, I guess that there must be a problem
in the way that this got implemented.

Harold