[distcc] [Fwd: "Busy" waiting when using distcc/ssh (and SMP question)]

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Tue Jul 8 03:01:31 GMT 2003

On  7 Jul 2003, Marcelo Matus <mmatus at dinha.acms.arizona.edu> wrote:
> it seems the timeout is comming from the io.c file:

> const int timeout = 15;          /* seconds */
>

> /**
> * @todo Perhaps only apply the timeout for initial connections, not when
> * doing regular IO.
> **/
>

> the current timeout is too short for large compilations. If I use 150s, then
> I have no problems. But, as the @todo says, maybe it is better
> to have different timeouts for the initial connection
> and the compilation.

OK, this is done in CVS.  Incidentally, removing the silly busyloop
bug has greatly improved the efficiency of SSH connections!   (Amazing
eh? :-)

My standard linux-2.5.68 kernel benchmark build over three machines on
100Mbps now takes 237s over SSH and 161s over TCP, so it's still quite
a lot slower.