[distcc] using distcc to speed up gcc bootstraps

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Fri Aug 23 12:09:00 GMT 2002

On Aug 23, 2002, Neil Booth <neil at daikokuya.co.uk> wrote:

> Alexandre Oliva wrote:-
>> > I find this somewhat icky, but it's fully backward-compatible.  Neil,
>> > Zack, anyone else, what do you think?
>>
>> Not having got any complaints about this proposal, I went ahead and
>> implemented it.  Patch below.  Ok to install?  Bootstrapped on
>> athlon-pc-linux-gnu.

> I don't like it.  This area is messy enough as-is without adding more
> random metadata to it.

So you're saying you don't care about distcc and you think it's not
important to preserve the directory where the source file was
preprocessed in the debugging info?  Or are you just saying you have
some better way to achieve this goal that you failed to mention?

> If this does go in, I don't think it should go in until 3.4 branches,

Why?  It's fully backward-compatible, and it adds information that
helps GCC do a better job.

> and I don't think it should be in cpplib (it should be in cc1).

So how do you suggest it to emit a single <directory> directive right
after the initial source file name?