[cifs-protocol] MS-SWM Q11 - wondering if ServerGlobalName is really a single name, as I can use a dns or netbios name of the server - TrackingID#2401050040010121

Jeff McCashland (He/him) jeffm at microsoft.com
Fri Jan 26 23:09:08 UTC 2024

Hi Stefan,

I've been able to determine that clusters can have many names and/or aliases that can be used more or less interchangeably.

Here is an article on aliasing (a little dated but still relevant):
How to Configure an Alias for a Clustered SMB Share with Windows Server 2012 - Microsoft Community Hub<https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/failover-clustering/how-to-configure-an-alias-for-a-clustered-smb-share-with-windows/ba-p/371737>

Let me know if this does not answer your question.

Best regards,
Jeff McCashland (He/him) | Senior Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team
I will look into this question and let you know what I find.