[cifs-protocol] Meaning of 'RoleStandalone' in [MS-GPOL] 3.2.5.1.4 Site Search

David Mulder dmulder at samba.org
Fri Jan 5 15:46:39 UTC 2024

In [MS-GPOL] 3.2.5.1.4 Site Search, the document says: "This procedure
is skipped if Machine Role is equal to DsRole_RoleStandaloneWorkstation
or DsRole_RoleStandaloneServer."

First off, what do the roles 'DsRole_RoleStandaloneWorkstation' and
'DsRole_RoleStandaloneServer' refer to? Is it saying only perform these
steps for an ADDC? Or does it mean skip this if the machine isn't joined
to a domain? It isn't clear what these roles mean.

Second, it says if the method returns ERROR_NO_SITENAME to continue the
GPO search. The server is responding with INVALID_COMPUTERNAME, not
ERROR_NO_SITENAME. Perhaps this is because we were supposed to skip the
search due to the 'skip' message at the top of 3.2.5.1.4? Or were we
supposed to make this site name request, and the server is responding
incorrectly?

--
David Mulder
Labs Software Engineer, Samba