[cifs-protocol] [MS-ADTS] GetgMSAPasswordBlob — Calculation of rollover interval

Joseph Sutton jsutton at samba.org
Thu Nov 23 01:07:04 UTC 2023

Hi dochelp,

I think there may be an error — or at least some opportunity for
confusion — in the documentation for GetgMSAPasswordBlob ([MS-ADTS]
3.1.1.4.5.39, “msDS-ManagedPassword”). The documentation states that
GKDIRolloverInterval is equal to:

(TO!msDS-ManagedPasswordInterval × 24 ∕ KeyCycleDuration) ×
KeyCycleDuration

GKDIRolloverInterval is later added to the time returned by
GKDIGetKeyStartTime(), implying that the former value is measured in
100ns units as is the latter. However, the expression given in the
documentation appears to be equivalent to
‘TO!msDS-ManagedPasswordInterval × 24’, which would produce a quantity
in hours.

If GKDIRolloverInterval is meant to be a FILETIME, I think the correct
expression should be:

TO!msDS-ManagedPasswordInterval × 24 × 60 × 60 × 10⁷

This gives an answer consistent with the results I’m seeing from Windows.

Regards,
Joseph