[cifs-protocol] Kerberos e-data NTSTATUS encoding

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed May 24 21:57:32 UTC 2023

Per my call with Jeff and Obiad today:

My one question comes from Joseph who is working on Kerberos for us:

The NTSTATUS structure in the Kerberos e-data field.  Where is this
packing defined, and what the second two fields are used for?

The first one that’s always zero, and the second one that appears to be
flags.
KERB_ERR_TYPE_EXTENDED

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/openspecs/windows_protocols/ms-kile/25fabd02-560d-4c1f-8f42-b32e9d97996a
only says the data-value field contains extended,
  implementation-specific error information.

https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/blob/master/source4/kdc/hdb-samba4.c#L573

Even if Microsoft clients do not use this, we have found in the real
world that third party clients rely on this behaviour, so we need to
know what else might be encoded here.

Samba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst.Net Ltd

Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company

Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions