[cifs-protocol] Local Administrator Password Solution (new and legacy)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu May 11 05:41:10 UTC 2023

Kia Ora DocHelp,

(again) Per my phone call with Obaid and Tom last week.

We were talking about LAPS, the Local Administrator Password Solution.

I have two questions, firstly on getting the schema for LAPS and LAPS
legacy:

Is the schema added by Update-LapsADSchema published anywhere, ideally
under same licence as
https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/windowsserverdocs ?

Likewise, it would be helpful to still support legacy LAPS in Samba.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46899

This link below shows the schema in another user's repo (not Samba).

Would it be possible to get or be pointed at a public and licensed copy
of this schema so Samba can support this 'out of the box'?

https://github.com/oz9un/LAPS-for-SAMBA/blob/master/scripts/laps-install

Secondly, there are requirements on Windows 2016 for new LAPS:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/laps/laps-scenarios-windows-server-active-directory mentions requirements on Windows server 2016.

Can you clarify which protocol behaviours are needed for this, so I can
investigate this, as nothing like this is mentioned at
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/whats-new-active-directory-domain-services?source=recommendations
 and
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-ds/active-directory-functional-levels
 (I realise Windows is a big product and these are not meant to be
comprehensive).

Samba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst.Net Ltd

Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company

Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions