[cifs-protocol] KB5028166 introduced undocumented changes to MS-NRPC?

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Thu Jul 13 10:37:04 UTC 2023

Hello dochelp,

On 7/13/23 11:10, Ralph Boehme via cifs-protocol wrote:
> Please read my description with a grain of salt, I'm not the netlogon
> expert on our team, just wanted to set the ball rolling... :)

hopefully this is not going to cause more confusion, but after digging
some more I figured out the following

It seems the client's netr_LogonGetCapabilities request has a
query-level of 2:

[2023/07/13 11:59:17.063300,  1, pid=32385, effective(0, 0), real(0, 0),
class=rpc_parse] ../../librpc/ndr/ndr.c:484(ndr_print_function_debug)
        netr_LogonGetCapabilities: struct netr_LogonGetCapabilities
           in: struct netr_LogonGetCapabilities
               server_name              : *
                   server_name              : '\\master.five.new'
               computer_name            : *
                   computer_name            : 'DESKTOP-6O7C598'
               credential               : *
                   credential: struct netr_Authenticator
                       cred: struct netr_Credential
                           data                     : b43363f1a6823757
                       timestamp                : Thu Jul 13 11:59:16
2023 CEST
               return_authenticator     : *
                   return_authenticator: struct netr_Authenticator
                       cred: struct netr_Credential
                           data                     : 0000000000000000
                       timestamp                : (time_t)0
               query_level              : 0x00000002 (2)

According to
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/openspecs/windows_protocols/ms-nrpc/5780fc6c-82f0-489f-b9a0-a9e855388492
the server should fail this with STATUS_INVALID_LEVEL.

Are there any doc updates missing?

Samba accepts the request and then later uses the query-level as switch
into the previously mentioned netr_Capabilities union. This then fails
when trying to marshall the result structure.

Thanks!
-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team                      https://samba.org/