[cifs-protocol] [EXTERNAL] Re: [REG:120063021002364] Clarification on length limit in SMB2_FILE_RENAME_INFORMATION filename

Obaid Farooqi obaidf at microsoft.com
Wed Jul 8 01:02:41 UTC 2020

Hi Jeremy:
The size of the rename info in the packet is compared to the sizeof(FILE_RENAME_INFORMATION_TYPE_1). MS-FSCC shows on the wire format (serialized). In code the size of this structure is 24 bytes. In case of one character the size becomes 22 and an error is generated since this is lower than 24. In all other cases i.e. 2 characters or more, the length will be 24 or more.

I have filed a bug to document this.

Regards,
Obaid Farooqi
Escalatiion Engineer | Microsoft