[cifs-protocol] Validated-Writes of servicePrincipalNames

Stefan Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Fri May 27 16:56:54 UTC 2016

Hi DocHelp,

we have seen client registering servicePrincipalNames like
MSSQLSvc/YOURHOST.TESTDOMAIN.COM:SOPHOS.

We're rejecting them. As we didn't know about the :port part.
As MS-ADTS 3.1.1.5.3.1.1.4 servicePrincipalName doesn't specify this
optional
part.

Testing against a Windows DC shows that only numeric characters are
allowed after
':'. It seems it doesn't need to be a valid tcp/udp port number. It
works with '99999'.

As I also found a number of google hits were people use things like:
MSSQLSvc/YOURHOST.TESTDOMAIN.COM:MSSQLSERVER2008 or others with non
numeric :port
parts.

Can update the MS-ADTS 3.1.1.5.3.1.1.4 servicePrincipalName section
to be more detailed with what is and what is not allowed, maybe together
with some examples.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191153.aspx contains some
information,
but the following is a bit unclear to me:

  MSSQLSvc/FQDN:[port|instancename]

That should allow "MSSQLSvc/FQDN:SOMENAME" or it has to be

  MSSQLSvc/FQDN[:port][/instancename]
or
  MSSQLSvc/FQDN[:port|/instancename]

It would be nice to get some hints what we have to implement.

Thanks!
metze