[cifs-protocol] [REG:116031113818575] GSSAPI context establishment Confidentiality/Integrity protection levels

Obaid Farooqi obaidf at microsoft.com
Tue Apr 5 00:19:14 UTC 2016

Hi Simo:
My investigation reveal that the issue you are encountering is not in the GSS API implementation of Microsoft (SSPI). It is due to a wrong assumption in the implementation of NNS protocol. As a matter of fact, the code is public so you can see for yourself at the following link:
http://referencesource.microsoft.com/#System/net/System/Net/_NTAuthentication.cs,f5122807ad1e911b

In method Decrypt, the following check is made

if (IsConfidentialityFlag)
            {
                errorCode = SSPIWrapper.DecryptMessage(GlobalSSPI.SSPIAuth, m_SecurityContext, securityBuffer, expectedSeqNumber);
            }
            else
            {
                errorCode = SSPIWrapper.VerifySignature(GlobalSSPI.SSPIAuth, m_SecurityContext, securityBuffer, expectedSeqNumber);
            }

And on the same link, IsConfidentialityFlag is defined as:

internal bool IsConfidentialityFlag {
            get {
                return (m_ContextFlags & ContextFlags.Confidentiality) != 0;
            }

And m_ContextFlags is returned from the calls to IntializeSecurityContext and AcceptSecurityContext.

So, it is the NNS protocol that requires that if the conf_avail flag is set, it means that every message must be encrypted (and signed). I have filed a bug against the document to make it explicit.

The document MS-NNS already alludes to that in section " 2.2.2	Data Message ":

".... Thus, if the negotiated security context in the handshake phase results in a context that does not support message confidentiality or integrity, then the data transferred is not framed, and does not follow the format specified in this section (that is, application-supplied data is written directly to the underlying TCP stream)."

I agree that it is not crisp and rigorous. But it makes it clear that if signing and sealing is not required, the protocol would not even do the framing i.e. might as well just use TCP without this protocol.

To do the signing only, the above code suggest that you just need to clear the confidentiality flag and signing will be assumed.

Please let me know if it does not answer your question.

Regards,
Obaid Farooqi
Escalation Engineer | Microsoft

Exceeding your expectations is my highest priority.  If you would like to provide feedback on your case you may contact my manager at nkang at Microsoft dot com