[cifs-protocol] [REG: 111111580301298 ] DNS partition creation

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Fri Dec 2 06:11:16 MST 2011

Hello Tarun,

On 02/12/2011 01:58, Tarun Chopra wrote:
> Hi Matthieu
>

> I tried reproducing the scenario by provisioning Windows 2k8 R2 as external DNS server, Windows 2k8 R2 as Primary Domain Controller (PDC) and Windows 2k3 Sp2 as 2nd  Domain Controller and didn't observe additional DRSAddEntry packets flowing from 2nd Domain Controller to PDC, capture enclosed. I also replayed TTT trace and seems 2nd Domain controller is receiving LDAP ADD Request packets triggering it to invoke these additional DRSAddEntry packets.

What are the added info through LDAP that seems to trigger this ?
> I also created a local repro with SAMBA server as PDC build dated (5th Nov'11) and didn't observe any additional  DRSAddEntry packets, listed below are the steps I performed to add the 2nd domain controller. However, it would be helpful if you can share the network trace of entire scenario (hopefully LDAP packets will be unencrypted) so that I can analyze it in parallel.
>

> Steps to Add 2nd Domain Controller:
>

> 1)            Machine was not joined to the existing PDC (test.com)
>
> 2)            Selected option "Additional domain controller for an existing domain".
>
> 3)            Entered the full DNS name of existing domain controller. (test.com)
The thing is that I noticed another domain with this behavior.

The other day I was working on a demote bug we had in Samba, so I did
the following:

1) created a new forest on a Samba DC:
./source4/setup/provision --realm test.samba.home.matws.net --domain
TEST --adminpass totoTATA123 --targetdir=/home/mat/workspace/samba/test

Last two parameters are not really critical they just define the
administrator password and the path where the AD database and related
file will be stored
2) configured bind 9.8 as indicated
http://www.matws.net/pres/sambaxp_2011/#%2811%29 and
http://www.matws.net/pres/sambaxp_2011/#%2812%29

3) started windows 2003R2 with the DNS server role activated

4) run dcpromo with the option "Additional domain controller for an
existing domain"

5) After the reboot I noticed that the server starts to send DsAddEntry
to the PDC in order to create new partitions.

Matthieu.

> Thanks
>
> Tarun.

Matthieu Patou