[cifs-protocol] MS-LSAD 3.1.4.7.10-12 CreateTrustedDomain* question

Hongwei Sun hongweis at microsoft.com
Mon Nov 22 17:11:00 MST 2010

Matthias,

  As I understand, LsarCreateTrustedDomainEx2 is a part of LSA remote interface that is implemented in lsasrv.dll.  It resides in the same lsass process as Active Directory server.  LDAP is another interface to the Active Directory server.    LsarCreateTrustedDomainEx2 will not access Active Directory data store through LDAP operation, although LDAP and LSA server may use the same set of API to access the Active Directory server internally.  Please see the following link for LSA architecture http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc780332(WS.10).aspx .   Lsass process is running under SYSTEM account, so LSA RPC server and Active Directory server all run with the security context of SYSTEM.

   The constraint in 3.1.1.5.2.2 MS-ADTS means that the TDO cannot be added through LDAP interface, instead it can only be created through LSA Policy API.   This is also explained in 7.1.6.9.7 MS-ADTS as follows:

   "Despite being replicated normally between peer DCs in a domain, the process of creating or manipulating TDOs is specifically restricted to the LSA Policy APIs, as detailed in [MS-LSAD] section 3.1.1.5. Unlike other objects in the DS, TDOs may not be created or manipulated by client machines over the LDAPv3 transport."

  Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks!

Hongwei