[cifs-protocol] [REG:110052070326491] MS_RRP: Question on Symbolic Links

Hongwei Sun hongweis at microsoft.com
Mon May 24 15:58:34 MDT 2010

Andreas,

   When you open the key with REG_OPTION_LINK flag set, the server will return the handle to the source key.  With a valid handle, client should be able to update the target of the symbolic link by changing the value of SymbolicLinkValue and also delete the key that is referenced by the handle.   As explicitly pointed out in 3.1.1.11, the SymbolicLinkValue for target link should contain Fully Qualified Name(3.1.1.1.1), which is something like HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices.   It is not in the kernel mode string such as \registry\machine\system\MountedDevice.

   How do you delete the value "SymbolocLinkVallue" ?  using BaseRegDeleteValue as per 3.1.5.9 MS-RRP?  What do you mean by "it didn't work" ?    Do you mean that the value is not deleted or any error is returned ?

   Please let me know so I can clarify it further.

Thanks!

Hongwei