[cifs-protocol] [Pfif] MS-NRPC: AES Schannel problems

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Wed Sep 16 12:46:26 MDT 2009

Hi Hongwei,

>    I think that Nick already informed you that AES 128 with 8 bit CFB mode has to be used.  I filed a request to add the information into 3.1.4.4 of MS-NRPC.  I also noticed that in  mxnrpc.c you attached , you used AES_cfb128_encrypt() (128 bit CFB mode) for computing server credential.  Please let us know if you have resolved the issue and if we can provide further help.

Yes, he does and we got that part working. Thanks!
using AES_cfb8_encrypt() instead of AES_cfb128_encrypt().

However we have the next challenge, the Netlogon SSPI provider.

I used tried both AES_cfb8_encrypt() and AES_cfb128_encrypt() but both
don't work.

Looking at the frame 308 and the following in
w2k8r2rc-l4-w2k8r2-trust-aes-schannel-01.pcap.

I think there's a bug in w2k8r2 in the docs.

The NL_AUTH_SHA2_SIGNATURE is filled in with very strange values.

It seem that the checksum is still 8 byte and the confounder directly
follows. The last 24 bytes are just uninitalized memory.

They are:
Frame 308:

32 00 2e 00 33 00 31 00
2e 00 39 00 2e 00 32 00
31 00 34 00 00 00 00 00

Frame 310:

35 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00

Frame 311: (I think it's random because the pdu is so long and point
memory in other aeas)

51 03 21 9b 41 84 cc 90
e7 e8 70 1c 52 60 55 5a
64 0c 6a 17 be 07 de 80

Looks like a unicode string instead of parts of a checksum and a confounder.

metze

> Meanwhile, I provide some sample values that I captured from debugger
for you to verify your logic.

> 	OWF Password :
>
> 	    13 c0 b0 4b 66 25 0d 08-b8 a3 90 4d cc 8b 34 e3
>
> 	Client Challenge:
>
> 	   25 63 e3 5f 69 e1 5a 24
>
> 	Server Challenge:
>
> 	   9C 66 5F 90 D9 83 DF 43
>
> 	Session Key calculated:
>
> 	    c9 c7 f7 2f c6 b9 13 e3-67 ae a9 1d 0a e3 a7 70
>
> 	Client Credential:
>
> 	   58 6a df 53 ef 72 78 d9
>
> 	Server Credential
>
> 	   E1 41 62 09 B2 3E 57 51

It would be great if you could add this values to the docs.

metze