[cifs-protocol] SMB1 Trans2SetPathInfo() FileEndOfFileInformation is not enforcing share modes

Bill Wesse billwe at microsoft.com
Wed Nov 25 12:01:42 MST 2009

Jeremy, I agree with you concerning Windows behavior needing to be documented; but I felt it necessary to mention the possibilities concerning further elaboration - since I am not the one to make that decision (nor do I wish to second guess those who do).

My next step is to finish tracking down file handle visibility within the server, and how that applies to pass-through versus no pass-through: as you noted, there are certainly differences, the main one concerning why pass-through doesn't honor the share mode.

My first take on this is to assume pass-through obtains the existing handle (making it safe to set the size); but I have not yet confirmed this (or proven it wrong - in which case I would be intensely bothered by the behavior, which would have the implication of corrupting the state of file state under the original handle).

Either way, I do intend to file a TDI on the topic, once I finish the code study; I also intend to set up test code to exercise the information levels against the SMB calls.

Regards,
Bill Wesse
MCSE, MCTS / Senior Escalation Engineer, US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM
8055 Microsoft Way
Charlotte, NC 28273
TEL:  +1(980) 776-8200
CELL: +1(704) 661-5438