[cifs-protocol] RE: Regarding String2key for random trust keys ([MS-ADTS] 7.1.6.8.1.2)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Aug 19 04:48:24 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 09:32 -0700, John Dunning wrote:
> Hello Andrew,
>     I wanted to ask you if you have taken a look at Section 3 of RFC
> 3629 which may be of help for this problem.

Is that the expected target string format for string2key operations?

> If you have and it didn't help then we need to get more information on
> how you are actually doing the conversion. For example are you using
> your own function or a canned one?

We use our own implementation of iconv() for the UTF16 -> UTF8
translations.

http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=blob;f=source/lib/charset/iconv.c;h=4f4bc8fd2da70c9f9d5bb75b2ee0f946516c996a;hb=v4-0-test#l589

It (rightly) rejects the random data as not being valid UTF16 input.

As far as I can tell, it is not possible for random bytes to simply be
described as UTF16 (and then converted to another charset), so I suspect
we will need a filter or modified function.