[cifs-protocol] Re: CIFS/NFS performance of netapp filer vs local dir

Chuck McIntyre chuck.mcintyre at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 16:55:23 GMT 2007

On 3/1/07, Matt Seitz <seitz at neopathnetworks.com> wrote:

> I would be interested in seeing your results.  I suspect what you are seeing is
> either a) poor application design, b) poor CIFS client design, or c) use of
> features that are simply not supported by NFS.

Have you seen the post I made to cifs-protocol in the thread entitled
"Problem - CIFS network throughput vs. NFS"?

I used bonnie++ from sourceforge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bonnie/ (a disk load benchmarking
application on CIFS vs. NFS) to generate results from the same client
against the same server just mounted in two different ways. The
results are staggeringly bad for CIFS vs. NFS. I get similar results
if I use the SMBFS client as I do with the CIFS client. I also get a
similar performance characteristic against a totally different CIFS
server. As you mention, it could be the CIFS client implementation, as
opposed to something inherent in the protocol, but I am having a hard
time believing it since it would also have to be something in the
SMBFS client.

Can you recommend a "good" CIFS client that I can run the same
benchmark against?