IBSS (was: full-duplex 802.11?)

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Thu Jul 18 07:32:08 EST 2002

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 12:49:37PM +0930, Michael Scholten wrote:

> I tried using the IBSS mode and found that even though I attempted to
> specify a channel the card automatically switched over to the other cards
> frequency.  I also noticed this "feature" by setting a frequency in a
> notebook and bringing the machine close to a strong signal on a different
> frequency - it simply "switched over".

This is exactly how an adhoc 802.11 network (IBSS) is supposed to work
as specified in IEEE 802.11 standard. A card can create an IBSS and
start sending beacons about it. The other nodes can join it and they
obviously need to change to the same channel. They will thus end up into
the channel configured for the node that created the IBSS.

Earlier test modes (adhoc demo mode, pseudo adhoc mode, or whatever they
are called) do not use authentication or association. Thus, they require
(or in some cases this would be 'allow') manually configured channels.