[Samba] Question about short names

Borut Rozman borut.rozman at bioch.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 4 11:04:41 UTC 2023

Hi everyone,
As we are migrating from SSSD to Samba, to accommodate wider audience
of users (NFS/SMB) I stumbled upon a problem with quotas and users.
When I joined the the server to AD, all quota's previously assigned to
users didn't apply anymore, also I can't anymore assign quotas to users
in short format

eg.  edquota user

I need to use
edquota DOMAIN\\user or edquota user at fqdn

also listing of files/folders shows in format

DOMAIN\user DOMAIN\group format

I would like all to be without that domain bit.

I added :

winbind use default domain = yes

to global part of smb.conf but did not do the trick. How can I remove
the domain part from showing?

PS even ssh-ing remotely to the server from this point needs full
format as short format usernames don't work.

I am using
Samba version 4.17.10-Debian

Kind regards
Borut